Saturday, February 02, 2008

Who in the World Came up with Corrugated Ribbing???

Week three of the ABC along brings the wretched corrugated ribbing.


I want to know right now who came up with this method of two colored ribbing so I can find them and pull their hair - especially since I have spent the last few hours pulling out my own!

Corrugated ribbing or two colored ribbing is by far one of the most tedious knitting activities known to the world. It is not that it is hard, it is just that pulling all of the stitches to the back side as you knit or purl each stitch is so fiddley and painfully slow.



I have successfully knit intarsia garments, so I thought how tough could corrugated ribbing be? Note to self, any thought that starts with "how tough could this be?" should be filed under the heading of masochism, or possibly sadism if I am trying to convince someone else to do said activity... I have completed about 1.5 inches of ribbing, and need 2 full inches. The yarn is actually a wine-ish red, the brown is a deep chocolate tone, and this is Encore by Plymouth.








As far as the spinning goes, I have graduated myself to colored roving, and here is my first colored single, still on the bobbin - sorry about the blurriness of the photo.



I enjoy spinning, but it will never take the place in my heart of knitting. I actually see spinning as an adjunct to knitting, not a separate activity unto itself.

Another C-word that I have recently enjoyed (get your minds out of the gutter, it is not THE C-word) is a book by Crazy Aunt Purl called Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair. It is about a 30-something woman who was married, now single by her husband's request, and trys to drink her problems away until she finds knitting. As tragic as this all sounds, it is pretty funny. I have read more than half of the book in one day, and it is far more interesting than the class I am taking, but then again watching paint dry is more entesting than the class material so far...


And thus ends this week's rant.

4 comments:

jokir said...

OOOO, look how pretty that ribbing is turning out. Good ol'Amber. She's a peach huh?

Christy said...

Ah yes, Crazy Aunt Purl's book is hilarious! :-)

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing what you've accomplished!

jokir said...

Delores for President!